Anyone who grew up on a farm knows it’s like nothing else in the world. You work with your family every day raising animals and doing other chores around the farm. For us, these are the top 5 things we learned growing up as farm kids:
- You learn discipline at an early age: Chores need to be done constantly. You’re up at the crack of dawn and done at dusk. The animals need feeding, the crops need harvesting. It all needs to get done when it needs to get done.
- You learn where your food comes from: Growing up as a farm kid, you learn exactly where your food comes from and how it grows and is harvested. Unfortunately, many kids growing up all over the world don’t get to experience this.
- You learn to appreciate where you come from: As a farm kid, you get to grow up with nature and all its beauty. With wide open spaces and plenty of fresh air, you spend most of your time outdoors doing the things most kids never get to do.
- You respect nature: It’s your family’s livelihood. You learn at an early age to respect crops, animals and the environment. Growing up, we learned to use less resources and to conserve energy as much as possible.
- You learn that there is no such thing as an excuse: Farming is a team effort. The jobs around the farm need to get done. Everyone needs to pitch in whenever needed and there are never any excuses.
Even if you and your children didn’t get to grow up on the farm and experience everything it has to offer, it’s never too late to learn! Hull-O-Farms is the perfect family retreat where you can learn all about farming and its culture. Book your Hull-O-Farms fall family vacation today.